The Division of Hospital Medicine helps care for most of the hospitalized patients on the ZSFG wards through our inpatient medical services and our consult services:
- The Resident Inpatient Service (RIS) is primarily staffed by hospitalists who supervise internal medicine residents and medical students caring for the full spectrum of inpatient diagnoses.
- The Faculty Inpatient Service (FIS) consists of hospitalists and nurse practitioners who provide direct care for complex hospitalized patients, including patients with COVID-19 infection.
- The Medical Consult and Comanagement Service manages medical issues in Orthopaedic Surgery patients and provides consultative assistance with evaluation and treatment of acute medical problems for other inpatient services.
- The Addiction Consult Team is led by addiction medicine specialists (hospitalists and faculty from other divisions and departments) who work with an interdisciplinary team to care for hospitalized patients with substance use disorders, initiating evidence-based treatment and linking patients to longitudinal care.
- The Supportive and Palliative Care Service is led by palliative medicine specialists who support patients and families with serious illness throughout their entire course of treatment. The SPCS includes the core inpatient palliative care consult service, outpatient clinic, and telehealth services.
- The Acute Care for Elders unit is housed on two dedicated inpatient wards, and is a system of interprofessional acute care designed to maintain or achieve independence and avoid preventable adverse events in elderly hospitalized patients.
Please contact Dr. Sumant Ranji, the Division Chief, at [email protected] with any questions about our clinical services.