Medicine Consult & Orthopedic Co-management Service (MCS)
The Medicine Consult and Orthopedic Co-management Service (MCS) is an inpatient consultative service housed within the Division of Hospital Medicine at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital. The MCS assists with evaluation and treatment of complex medical problems in hospitalized patients at our level one trauma center and safety-net institution. Our mission is to provide high quality consultative and co-management services with compassion and respect.
The MCS is available for our patients and colleagues at ZSFG 24 hours every day. All consultations are performed by a hospitalist attending physician, sometimes with the assistance of a senior UCSF internal medicine resident. Throughout the year, third and fourth year UCSF medical students may rotate on the service on an elective basis. The MCS also provides a didactic curriculum on principals of consultative care, co-management skills, and perioperative evaluation and medication management for trainees.
Common reasons to obtain a medical consultation include:
- Acute medical problems (e.g. respiratory distress, chest pain, electrolyte disorders, venous thromboembolism).
- Complications of chronic medical problems (e.g. cardiopulmonary disease, liver disease, diabetes mellitus, anticoagulation).
- Co-management of select patients on the inpatient Orthopedic Service.
- Request to transfer a patient from an outside institution to the ZSFG medicine service.
- Request to transfer a ZSFG inpatient to the internal medicine service.
To obtain a consultation, please call the medicine consult pager at 415-443-7246. For orthopedic co-management requests, please call the co-management pager at 415-443-1247. For questions or feedback pertaining to our consultative services or to obtain didactic materials, please contact Dr. Larry Haber at [email protected].